What is BFD Modern Retro?
BFD Modern Retro is an expansion pack for FXpansion's BFD3, BFD Eco, and BFD2 software drum instruments, featuring 2 kits that helped define the sound of the 90s and early 2000s.
What do I need in order to use this expansion pack?
BFD Modern Retro requires a registered copy of BFD3, BFD Eco, or BFD2 (versions 2.1 and later only).
Can I use this product with BFD 1.x?
No - this expansion can only be used with BFD3, BFD Eco, or BFD2 (versions 2.1 or later only). BFD 2.1 is a free update to all registered BFD2 users.
Why does it have these requirements?
BFD3, BFD Eco, and BFD2.1 (and later versions) are equipped to handle the data format and custom channel layout featured in this expansion; previous versions of BFD2 and BFD 1.x cannot.
What kind of limitations exist when using this product with BFD Eco?
When using this expansion in BFD Eco, limitations apply in terms of the audio channels and articulations that are available (this is one of BFD Eco's limitations, as opposed to the fully-featured BFD3 or BFD2).
BFD Eco is a streamlined instrument based on the BFD2 engine.
What is included?
- Ludwig 14x6.5 Maple Snare Hotrod
- Ludwig 14x6.5 Maple Snare Stick
- Sonor Designer 1997 14x5 Snare Hotrod
- Sonor Designer 1997 14x5 Snare Stick
- Sonor Designer 1997 14x6.5 Snare Hotrod
- Sonor Designer 1997 14x6.5 Snare Stick
- Sonor Designer 1997 Close Kick Felt
- Sonor Designer 1997 Close Kick Plastic
- Sonor Designer 1997 Floor Tom Hotrod
- Sonor Designer 1997 Floor Tom Stick
- Sonor Designer 1997 High Tom Hotrod
- Sonor Designer 1997 High Tom Stick
- Sonor Designer 1997 Hole Kick Felt
- Sonor Designer 1997 Hole Kick Plastic
- Sonor Designer 1997 Mid Tom 1 Hotrod
- Sonor Designer 1997 Mid Tom 1 Stick
- Sonor Designer 1997 Mid Tom 2 Hotrod
- Sonor Designer 1997 Mid Tom 2 Stick
- Sonor Designer 1997 Open Kick Felt
- Sonor Designer 1997 Open Kick Plastic
- Ufip China Hotrod
- Ufip China Stick
- Zildjian Crash 14 Hotrod
- Zildjian Crash 14 Stick
- Zildjian Crash 18 Hotrod
- Zildjian Crash 18 Stick
- Zildjian Fast Crash 18 Hotrod
- Zildjian Fast Crash 18 Stick
- Zildjian HiHat Hotrod
- Zildjian HiHat Stick
- Zildjian Ride Hotrod
- Zildjian Ride Stick
- Zildjian Splash Hotrod
- Zildjian Splash Stick
- Ludwig Supraphonic Snare 14x5 Stick
- Paiste Splash Brush
- Paiste Splash Stick
- Sabian Ride Brush
- Sabian Ride Stick
- Tama Starclassic Close Kick Felt
- Tama Starclassic Cloth Snare 14x5 Stick
- Tama Starclassic Damp Snare 14x5 Stick
- Tama Starclassic Floor Tom 1 Brush
- Tama Starclassic Floor Tom 1 Stick
- Tama Starclassic Floor Tom 2 Brush
- Tama Starclassic Floor Tom 2 Stick
- Tama Starclassic High Tom Brush
- Tama Starclassic High Tom Stick
- Tama Starclassic Hole Damp Kick Felt
- Tama Starclassic Hole Damp Kick Plastic
- Tama Starclassic Hole Loose Kick Felt
- Tama Starclassic Hole Loose Kick Plastic
- Tama Starclassic Mid Tom 1 Brush
- Tama Starclassic Mid Tom 1 Stick
- Tama Starclassic Mid Tom 2 Brush
- Tama Starclassic Mid Tom 2 Stick
- Tama Starclassic Open Kick Felt
- Tama Starclassic Open Kick Plastic
- Tama Starclassic Snare 14x5 Brush
- Tama Starclassic Snare 14x5 Stick
- Turkish Crash 15 Brush
- Turkish Crash 15 Stick
- Turkish Crash 18 Brush
- Turkish Crash 18 Stick
- Turkish Dark China Brush
- Turkish Dark China Stick
- Turkish HiHat Brush
- Turkish HiHat Stick
- Ufip Ride Brush
- Ufip Ride Stick
- 56 BFD3 presets
- 56 BFD2 presets
- 10 BFD Eco presets
What equipment was used for the recordings?
- Kicks: AKG D112, Sennheiser e902, Audix D6, Shure B52A, Audio Technica AT3060
- Snares: SM57, Beyerdynamic M420
- Hihats: Shure SM81
- Rides: Shure SM81
- Toms: Beyerdynamic M201TG
- Floor Toms: Audix D4
- Overhead Stereo Pair: AKG C414
- Overhead Mono (Mono 1): Beyerdynamic M260 ribbon (Tama), Beyerdynamic M260 + Audio Technica AT3060 front tube (Sonor)
- Room Stereo Pair: Neumann U87A
- Room PZM Stereo (Amb3): Crown PZM30D
- SSL 9000K
- API, Millennia, Brunetti, Neve
- Apogee AD16Xs
- Recorded at 96 kHz with an Apogee BigBen Master clock, edited at 96K, and downsampled for release at 44.1 kHz.
What articulations are included?
- Kicks: Hit
- Toms: Hit and Rim
- Snare: Hit, Rim, SS (Brush Damp for brushed snares)
- Hihats: Closed, 1/4-Open, 1/2-Open, 3/4-Open, Open, Bell (all for tip and shank), Pedal, Splash, Foot (pedal+closed tip played together)
- Crash/China/Splash Cymbals: Hit
- Ride Cymbals: Hit, Bell, Edge
Please note that the Hihat Bell Shank and Foot articulations are not included in the default BFD3 keymap - these must be mapped to free MIDI keys before they can be used via MIDI.
Who produced BFD Modern Retro?
BFD Modern Retro was produced by Simone Coen for Chocolate Audio.
What detail levels are present in the recordings?
- Kicks/snares: 150-300 velocity layers
- Toms: 60-80 velocity layers
- Hihats: 32-40 velocity layers
- Cymbals: 16-24 velocity layers
How big is the download?
The download size is approximately 12 GB, split into 4 files.
Is BFD Modern Retro related to any other products?
BFD Modern Retro is the BFD version of a product released by Chocolate Audio in other formats. If you are an owner of this product and would like to enquire about the BFD version, please contact Chocolate Audio directly.
Do you allow license transfers?
- If you're the seller, you must contact us in advance of the sale. If you're a prospective second-hand buyer, you must check that the seller is cleared to sell. If in doubt, contact us.
- There is a flat $50 fee per product for a license transfer, which can be purchased from our online shop.
- Review copies, NFRs (Not For Resale copies, sometimes used for in-store demos), etc., cannot be transferred under any circumstances.
- We reserve the right to refuse a license transfer request.
Once a transfer is authorized and the fee has been paid, the new owner is entitled to exactly the same upgrade paths and technical support resources as if they had bought the product new.