Frequently Asked Questions:
- What is BFD Jazz Maple?
- What do I need in order to use BFD Jazz Maple?
- Can I use this product with BFD 1.x?
- Why does it have these requirements?
- What kind of limitations exist when using this product with BFD Eco?
- What is included?
- What mic channels are included and what equipment was used to record them?
- Is the BFD Jazz Maple expansion kit an FXpansion product?
- How big is the download?
- Do you allow license transfers?
What is BFD Jazz Maple?
BFD Jazz Maple is a download-only expansion pack for BFD3, BFD Eco and BFD2.
What do I need in order to use BFD Jazz Maple?
BFD Jazz Maple requires a registered copy of BFD3, BFD Eco or BFD2 (versions 2.1 and later only) and a suitable system on which to run it.
Can I use this product with BFD 1.x?
No - this expansion can only be used with BFD3, BFD Eco or BFD2 (versions 2.1 or later only). BFD 2.1 is a free update to all registered BFD2 users.
Why does it have these requirements?
BFD3, BFD Eco and BFD2.1 (and later versions) are equipped to handle the data format and custom channel layout featured in this expansion; previous versions of BFD2 and BFD 1.x cannot.
What kind of limitations exist when using this product with BFD Eco?
When using this expansion in BFD Eco, limitations apply in terms of the audio channels and articulations that are available (this is one of BFD Eco's limitations, as opposed to the fully-featured BFD3 or BFD2).
BFD Eco is a streamlined instrument based on the BFD2 engine.
What is included?
Jazz Maple kit:
- 18"x14" Kick (Felt and Rubber)
- 16"x20" Kick (Felt and Wood)
- 8"x10" Tom (Stick, Brush and Mallet)
- 8"x12" Tom (Stick, Brush and Mallet)
- 14"x14" Floor Tom (Stick, Brush and Mallet)
Bonus hihat and cymbals taken from BFD Jazz & Funk (reduced to 16 bit, 24 velocity layers):
- 14" Manhattan Hihat (Stick and Brush)
- 20" AA Med Ride (Stick and Brush)
- 16" HH Med Crash (Stick, Brush and Mallet)
- 18" El Sabor Cymbal (Stick and Brush)
- 18" China (Mallet)
Bonus snare in 5 versions (16 velocity layers):
- 5.5"x14" Roy Haynes signature snare (stick, strainer on)
- 5.5"x14" Roy Haynes signature snare (stick, strainer off)
- 5.5"x14" Roy Haynes signature snare (mallet, strainer off)
- 5.5"x14" Roy Haynes signature snare (brush, strainer on)
- 5.5"x14" Roy Haynes signature snare (brush, strainer off)
Bonus Groove palettes taken from Platinum Samples' Real Jazz MIDI Grooves:
- 080 2 Beat Brushes
- 100 2 Beat Brushes
- 100 Walk Sticks
- 120 Shuffle Sticks
- 120 Walk Sticks
What mic channels are included and what equipment was used to record them?
- Kick In: Shure Beta 52 / API 3124 preamp
- Kick Out: Neumann FET 47 / API 3124 preamp
- Kick Resonant: Yamaha Sub Kick / Neve VR console channel preamp
- Snare Top: Shure Beta 57A / API 3124 preamp
- Snare Bottom: EV N/D457 / API 3124 preamp
- Snare Side: Violet Design Flamingo Jr. / ATI 8MX2 preamp
- Toms: Violet Design Globe / ATI 8MX2 preamp
- Overhead: Matched pairs of Neumann KM184s or Violet Design Black Knight mics / ATI 8MX2 preamps
- Room: Violet Design Globe with prototype omni capsules / Focusrite Red preamps
- Amb3: Nevaton MC404 stereo mic placed in the center of the room / Metric Halo ULN2 preamps
Is the BFD Jazz Maple expansion kit an FXpansion product?
Yes - this expansion pack was produced by John Emrich for FXpansion.
It is distributed in download form on the FXpansion site.
How big is the download?
BFD Jazz Maple provides the following downloads:
- Main installer: approx. 650MB
- Bonus cymbals/hihats: approx: 625MB
- Bonus Yamaha case samples: approx. 66MB
Do you allow license transfers?
- If you're the seller, you must contact us in advance of the sale. If you're the prospective second-hand buyer, you must check that the seller is cleared to sell. If in doubt, contact us.
- There is a flat $50 fee per product for a license transfer, which can be purchased from our online shop.
- Review copies, NFRs (Not For Resale copies, sometimes used for in-store demos), etc., cannot be transferred under any circumstances.
- We reserve the right to refuse a license transfer request.
Once a transfer is authorized and the fee has been paid, the new owner is entitled to exactly the same upgrade paths and technical support resources as if they had bought the product new.